Barricade situation in Southwest over, man arrested

UPDATE 10:31 a.m.: AP reports that authorities say a barricade situation that closed streets in southwest Washington has ended without injury. 


D.C. police spokesman Eric Frost says an adult male surrendered to authorities about 8:45 a.m. after taking an adult female hostage. Frost says the situation began about 4:30 a.m. on N Street. Officers recovered a weapon from the scene. 

The man has been charged with kidnapping while armed. No other details were available.

UPDATE 9:18 a.m.: ABC 7 News reports roads are now being reopened in Southwest.

Still, there are no reported injuries. The scene is clearing at this time.

UPDATE 8:27 a.m.: ABC 7 News reports a person emerged from the home a short while ago and has been arrested by police.

UPDATE 8:21 a.m.: AP reports a SWAT team has been called to the scene.

D.C. police spokesman Eric Frost says the situation began about 5 a.m. Police have not identified the person or said if they are a man or woman. They have also not explained how the incident began.

UPDATE 7:01 a.m.: Due to police activity, the following streets are closed:

- 1300 block of Canal St S.W.
- Half St S.W from M St to P St S.W.
- First St and N St S.W.
- Howison Pl and N St S.W.
- Canal St and O St S.W.
- Delaware and M St S.W.
- South Capitol and N St S.W.

Drivers are urged to use alternate routes.

UPDATE 6:29 a.m.: ABC 7 reports several roads are shut down near N Street in Southwest. Police are setting up a command post at 1300 Canal Street.

UPDATE 6:26 a.m.: ABC 7 News has learned two people are involved in this situation. There are no reported  injuries so far. 

D.C. Fire and EMS is assisting.


Metropolitan Police confirm that officers are on the scene of a barricade situation in Southwest early Wednesday.

It's happening near N Street. ABC 7 News reports roads are closed to all traffic near the area.

ABC 7 has a crew in route to the scene. Please check back for more updates.

No comments