Pr. William leaders threaten to sue the Department of Homeland Security

Prince William County is considering drastic legal action against the Department of Homeland Security.

1 Comment

The county's board of supervisors wants to know what has become of illegal immigrants who have been charged with crimes.

It comes after at least two deadly incidents allegedly involving illegal immigrants.

April Ashcraft's mother and brother were gunned down in their Manassas home last week. She told ABC7's Gail Pennybacker that the federal government should have a guilty conscience about their deaths.

The accused killer is an illegal immigrant who was set to be deported almost nine years ago. Aschraft says while her focus is on planning their funerals, she believes her family and another friend who were shot to death last Thursday night would be alive today if Jose Reyes Alfaro had been deported when he was supposed to. She is not alone in her outrage at the department of homeland security.

"We're going to either have to sue them or request a full congressional investigation," said Prince William County Board Chairman Corey Stewart.

He says last week's mass shooting and last summer's death of a nun hit by an accused drunk driver who was also an illegal immigrant in the midst of deportation, spark the charge for the county to take action.

"As long as federal officials continue to dither and do nothing about this, innocent victims in Prince William County will continue to die, be raped or assaulted at the hands of illegal immigrants," Stewart said.

Stewart says Prince William County has been pursuing answers from the Department of Homeland Security for seven months with no response.

"We have become so frustrated with the inability or the refusal by the federal government to provide us basic information about what they do with the illegal immigrants once we hand them over to them," he said.

The Department of Homeland Security had not responded to a request for comment by publication time.

1 Comment