The Fancy Feast: The week in fancy people and fancy events
Welcome to the Fancy Feast, where the weekly comings-and-goings of the region's socialites, party animals, and events addicts are chronicled.
You have one week to try to score an invite to the grand-opening party of Tory Burch’s store at Tyson’s Galleria. (Playbook)
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia at the annual Shakespeare Theatre Harman Center for the Arts Gala last Monday. (The Hill)
MTV’s college-themed sister station MTVu debuts its docu-series on Gallaudet University, Quiet Campus, on Oct. 24. No talking. (WaPo)
Harrison Ford’s in town, and he’s talking about airplanes. (Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association Online)
L2Lounge—blocking socialites on Twitter?! (Twitter, obvi)
Chelsea Clinton credited the Shakespeare Theatre Company’s productions with helping her have a “somewhat normal upbringing” during her dad’s days in the White House. Poor Chels. (Examiner)
The brothers Voltaggio, of Top Chef fame, filled Harry Grove Stadium on Tuesday during their cookbook launch party. Of his curiously named L.A.-based restaurant (ink.) and cookbook (VOLT ink), Michael Voltaggio explained, “Anything in ink is permanent.” (Gazette)
Grammy Award–winning jazz musician and person I don’t really know Esperanza Spalding has donated some dress to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. (Examiner)
A nice mash-up of Wednesday night’s Karaoke in the Capital at Rock & Roll Hotel. Violins at the 50-second mark, Nicki Minaj's “Super Bass” at 1:40. WITH back-up dancers. (YouTube)
UPCOMING FANCY EVENTS
• Equal Justice Works 25th Anniversary Dinner, hosted by David Gregory. J.W. Marriott, D.C.
• Public Citizen’s 40th Anniversary Gala with Bill Moyers. Omni Shoreham Hotel, D.C.
• Pink Rocks the Runway fashion show featuring Christian Siriano. Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center, D.C.
• NOW at Night cocktail fundraiser at the Corcoran
• Miss Sinergy 2012, Embassy of France.
• INOVA Health Systems Gala, featuring Kool & The Gang. Ritz Carlton-Tyson’s, McLean
• Arts for Autism Gala, featuring “more than 50 well-known models and other individuals.” Clarendon Ballroom, Arlington
• Joan Hisaoka “Make a Difference” Gala, hosted by Wolf Blitzer. Mandarin Oriental Hotel, D.C.
• LAF 10th Anniversary Gala, Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton, Va.
RecommendedRecent Facebook Activity
Best of TBD In case you missed it
No one knows quite what Klout is, but these big 'myopic little twits' appear to have it.
TBD Blogs What you need to read
The Market Report
@TBD On Foot
Only On 7
"Like" ABC7 on facebook and you can win $700 in groceries delivered to your door, thanks to Peapod by Giant! Enter daily before 4pm Friday! Plus, you can receive 2 additional entries for each friend who enters!