Inside D.C. entertainment

Red Palace cancels all shows through Nov. 5

October 18, 2010 - 12:35 PM
Text size Decrease Increase

Red Palace, the new H Street NE venue that will merge burlesque club The Palace of Wonders and music venue The Red and the Black has canceled all shows through Nov. 5, putting its grand opening off until at least next month.

The first two shows scheduled for Red Palace were canceled last week: Friday's My Dear Disco date was moved to DC9, then relocated to Rock & Roll Hotel, after DC9 was closed Friday, following an incident outside of the club that resulted in co-owner Bill Spieler and four employees being arrested in connection with the death of a Silver Spring man. Saturday's Xiu Xiu show was canceled altogether (although the band did play an area house show).

Although Spieler is a partner in Red Palace (which is still technically the Red and the Black), DC9, and Rock & Roll Hotel (along with D.C. nightlife mogul Joe Englert), the delayed grand opening is not related to the incident, says Steve Lambert, who books shows at all three venues. He wrote in an e-mail that the Red Palace delays are "unrelated entirely" to the incident and that the timing is just an "unfortunate coincidence."

After the first two shows scheduled for Red Palace were canceled or relocated, 14 other shows were called off, and this note appeared on the website of the Red and the Black (which is hosting listings for Red Palace shows until the venue gets its own website):

Please note that due to liscensing difficulties in connection to the new opening of Red Palace all shows have unfortunately been cancelled through 11/5/2010. We apologize for the delay and are working diligently to get things going. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Lambert says, for now, the date of Red Palace's opening is "still TBA."

Read More:

No comments