- The planned Gage-Eckington Park is a go. (Image: Courtesy LeDroit Park Civic Association)
LeDroit Park is going to get its new park after all.
A disapproval resolution placed last month on the planned Gage-Eckington Park by D.C. Councilmember Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) has expired without further action, so the project can now move forward, according to Councilmember Jim Graham (D-Ward 1).
"I am pleased to tell you that as of yesterday, August 26 (my birthday by the way), the contract for the park was approved by the Council. That approval was delayed as we all know… but the disapproval resolution lapsed, and the contract went forward," Graham wrote in an email to constituents Friday.
Graham says he's told the contract will be executed on Monday, with work to follow shortly thereafter.
The LeDroit Park community has been fuming ever since Barry placed his hold on the park at the end of July. Graham himself took to the listservs to chastise his colleague. "This is an outrage, and a totally needless delay in a very worthwhile project," he wrote.
Barry's had a history of these kinds of disapproval resolutions of late, including one against the transfer of Hill East to city control and another against DDOT's move to 55 M Street SE. At the time that he filed his motion against Gage-Eckington, Barry was all about the tough talk, telling the City Paper that he had had no plans to withdraw the resolution, referring to the project as yet more mayoral "shenanigans." But it now appears that Barry has let the issue go.
Amid its investigation into Mayor Adrian Fenty's parks contracting scheme, the D.C. Council explicitly approved funding for the Gage-Eckington project in March.