On the ground in D.C., Maryland and Virginia

'Teflon defendant' arrested in Takoma Park drug bust

October 4, 2010 - 10:28 PM
Text size Decrease Increase
Corey A. Moore
Corey A. Moore was arrested in Takoma Park Sept. 25. (Photo: Takoma Park Police)

Remember the man who was allegedly carrying around $50,000 worth of cocaine when he threw a bottle of alcohol at a Takoma Park Police officer, leading to the city's biggest drug bust ever?

Well, Takoma Park Police Chief Ronald A. Ricucci confirmed Monday night that the suspect in the Sept. 25 case, Corey A. Moore, now 35, is the same Corey A. Moore who was acquitted four times in D.C. for a 1994 murder, earning him the moniker "Teflon defendant," and who the FBI once described as "one of the most dangerous individuals in the District of Columbia."

Washington City Paper ran an exhaustive profile of Moore back in 2001. When news of the drug bust broke last week, the administrator of a Takoma Park neighborhood e-mail list dug up the article and made the connection.

Talk about a huge arrest.

The Washington Post called Moore "a street legend" when he was once again acquitted back in 2006 on drug, firearms, and conspiracy charges.

The City Paper profile also laid out a long list of Moore's early run-ins with the law, including:

On April 22, 1992, he allegedly killed Robert "Chucky" Butler. He was charged with felony murder while armed. The case was dismissed.

On Oct. 5, 1993, he shot his mother's boyfriend, Curtis Summers, and was charged with assault with intent to kill while armed, among other gun charges. He was found not guilty.

On Dec. 25, 1993, he allegedly robbed Daniel Cortes at gunpoint. He was charged with armed robbery and two other gun-related charges. He was found not guilty.

On Oct. 27, 1994, he allegedly shot and killed Byron Hammond and wounded Reginald Jackson. He was charged with second-degree murder while armed, assault with intent to kill while armed, and other gun-related charges. He was tried four times, each trial resulting in a hung jury.

On Nov. 4, 1994, he was caught allegedly in possession of a semiautomatic assault rifle. He was charged with various gun-possession counts. He was found guilty of only one of them.

On Jan. 28, 1995, he stabbed fellow inmate Eugene Mills to death and was charged with first-degree murder while armed, obstruction of justice, conspiracy, and threatening to injure a person. He was found not guilty.


No comments

  • View all
By posting comments to content found on TBD, you agree to the terms of service.

Post a Comment

You must be signed in to post comments on TBD