- Streetcar construction along H Street NE. (TBD)
For the latest look at what the new D.C. streetcar system is going to cost and how it's going to operate, take a gander at the plan DDOT just formally submitted to council today. This is the document covering finances and operations that DDOT had to produce in order to get the $34.5 million of funding that council was holding on to. A few points:
• DDOT plans on having the cars running by spring of 2012.
• The first two lines (the 2-mile H Street/Benning Road line and the .75-mile Anacostia "initial" line) will rely on overhead wires for their power supply, while the additional lines that follow will all be wireless.
• DDOT is "pursuing" -- important word there -- about $110 million in federal funds for extensions east of the Anacostia River.
• When it comes to construction of the Anacostia and Benning Road extensions, DDOT is predicting a $158.3 million funding surplus, "assuming the District receives all the federal funds it is requesting."