- (Photo: Ben Schumin)
Happy weekend-before-Thanksgiving, D.C. I hope you haven't begun your travel early — among the stations WMATA has closed for track work is the Ronald Reagan National Airport Metro stop. Of all the weekends, right? Luckily I'm not flying out of town until next Tuesday evening. But if you are traveling to DCA this weekend, consider taking some of these free Metro shuttle buses.
And naturally you'll want some reading material for the wonderfully lazy Thanksgiving week, no? Let's review the biggest stories of the past week:
• "Make sure you take the opportunity to spread out." Is this the best Metro conductor on the Orange Line?
• Just where are those prime DDOT car-sharing parking spaces? I mapped them all out for you.
• The U.S. government will decide whether to mandate a new traffic-safety technology for all cars in 2013. They're testing it now.
• See where the biggest transportation donors gave their money for the 2012 election cycle.
• Find out how D.C. got urban workers out to the suburban jobs back in the '80s.
• Metro wants to hire a communications deputy .
• Please save us from gridlock, transit tech wizards.
• It's the season of Street Smart, pedestrians.
• The stained glass of Metro.
• Which airline charges passengers for carry-on bags?
• Transportation lessons from Facebook.
• Let's all recall the words of Bertrand Russell amid these WMATA fatigue talks.
Last week: Behind-the-scenes with Zipcar and DDOT ... and it's not pretty.