Attention beer lovers and those who just love having a good time: DC Beer Week begins today! The week-long event celebrates beer culture in the District, and will feature beer tastings, beer dinners, beer happy hours, and a long list of beer-related festivities.
DC Beer Week kicks off tonight at the Rock and Roll Hotel. The event will be presented by the beer lovers at Washington City Paper and Nerd Nite DC. The evening will include craft beer and music pairings and feature brew experts including:
• Beer Director Greg Engert of ChurchKey
• Founder & Brewer Brian Strumke of Stillwater Artisanal Ales
• Tracy Jill Doty from the NIH Cobra Collective
• New Rock Church of Fire
AND once you start consuming those brews, tell us what you think on our Beer Rater.
DC Beer Week ratings
Food Truck News
After multiple disappointments due to rainy weather and electrical issues, the long-awaited Lobster Truck rolled out onto Farragut Square yesterday afternoon. It’s debut was a hit, with long lines of around 75-100 people waiting for nearly two hours in the afternoon sun. Even Robyn Povich, the VP of business and marketing for Red Hook Lobster Pound, was surprised by the turnout, reports Sommer Mathis. "I was expecting a line, but certainly not this long. It's been crazy, people have been willing to stand here for an hour and a half." After seeing today’s turnout, the main issue Povich is concerned about is keeping up with demand, she tells Sommer. But she hopes that once they get into the swing of things, people won’t have to wait for longer than 15 minutes. Read more...
Check out some of yesterday’s Lobster tweets and pics:
apzuckerman: Line of 100+ for the @LobstertruckDC. Pictures from inside the truck obtained. That's one tasty roll. @capitolbites.
We Love DC’s Tiffany Bridge reports the details behind the fight against food trucks, and the regulation that would make it difficult for them to operate. Good read.
Food Truck Fiesta’s Food Truck Tracker...
The competition heats up for chicken joints in Silver Spring. Elahe Izadi reports that the Montgomery County Board of Liquor License Commissioners approved a license for Mr. Chicken on Georgia Avenue, which opened earlier this month. Mr. Chicken’s arrival adds to the long list of chicken joints in the neighborhood, including Crisp & Juicy, Sabroso Grill, and Nando’s Peri-Peri. Read more...
You’ve got options this weekend. In addition to DC Restaurant Week, there’s also Alexandria Restaurant Week, H Street Eats, and Clarendon Restaurant Week. So many restaurant promotions, so little time...
And of course, if you’re looking for suggestions on where to dine and how to get most out of Restaurant Week, check out this post — it includes tips from food bloggers, foodies, and local restaurant critics and writers. We're adding to it all the time, so keep the tips, links, and reviews coming.
Write-ups and reviews from the food bloggers
• DC-Wrapped Dates heads to fancy Citronelle in Georgetown and tackles nearby Tackle Box
• Dining in DC kicks off Restaurant Week at Bourbon Steak
• The Bitches Who Brunch enjoyed Bloody Marys and brick-oven pizzas from The Liberty Tree
• I Flip For Food gets more than the usual coffee shop grub at Busboys and Poets
• Capital Cooking heads to Blue Duck Tavern for good service and great food.
• Capitol Bites enjoys some sweetness at La Dolcezza Vita
Plan Ahead - Upcoming Food and Drink Events
• August 20 -- BRABO’s Toast the Terrace happy hour begins tonight
• August 21 -- Chesapeake Crab and Beer Festval
• August 28 -- Elevation Burger is hosting a free screening of King Corn at their location in Potomac, MD
• August 27 -- DC State Fair Kick-Off and Homebrew Contest
• August 28 -- DC State Fair
• September 1 -- Food Blogger Happy Hour at Poste
• Now-September 5 -- The Capital Grill Master Wine Tasting Event
• September 6 -- Labor Day Street Party
• September 11 - DC Veg Fest
• September 12 -- Adams Morgan Day
• Free Italian ice at the new Rita’s in Chinatown this week (via Prince of Petworth)
• Free August cooking classes with Chef Michael Kiss (via EveryFoodFits)
• $5 Drink specials all week at Argonaut
• 50 percent off mimosa brunch at ACKA Cocoa Bar