This weekend: Spend National Service Day at a Beer and Bake Sale, eat at the Adams Morgan Day Festival, and check out a few sports bars with NFL and college football specials
If you’re looking for a job, you may be in luck. According to a Craigslist posting, the new Arlington Rooftop Bar and Grill on Wilson Blvd. is hiring. They’re looking for servers, bartenders, and hosts. Owner Yogi Dumera tells ARLNow that he’s hoping to open by the end of September. And if you’re looking for something on the other side of the Potomac, the new Vapiano in Bethesda is also hiring. A large “Now Hiring” sign hangs on the front window of the new location at 4900 Hampden Ln.
Speaking of new openings, EatMore DrinkMore has an updated list of what’s coming to D.C.
Also coming: The Lion’s Den. PoP reports that the location that formerly held Mario’s Pizza at 3519 Georgia Ave. will soon be a West Indian take-out joint. He was told that they “hope to open sometime next week.”
EatMore DrinkMore attended a VIP Tasting Event... at Safeway. Who knew the grocery store was so fancy. Attendants sipped on wine and nibbled on samples. The event was held at the new Safeway at 6118 Arlington Blvd. in Seven Corners, which officially opens today.
On Saturday, celebrate National Day of Service at the first annual Beer and Bake Sale at Adams Mill Bar & Grill. The event goes from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., and will feature a variety of baked goods, as well as $3 dollar pints and $10 dollar pitchers. So head out there, drink some beer, eat some cookies, and watch some college football. All proceeds from the bake sale will go to support Share our Strength.
On Sunday, the 32nd annual Adams Morgan Day Festival will go on from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. The event celebrates the area’s global communities and cultures, and features international art, music, and food.
Looking for a place to watch Skins’ opening game against the Cowboys on Sunday? Not a Skins fan? Or a football fan? Then how about a place with great food and drink specials that just happens to have football playing on a few (or all) of the screens? Check out this weekend’s 9 Restaurants for sports bar specials in the area.
For more suggestions, check out On Tap’s Annual Football Guide.
If only food trucks served beer and had large flat screen TVs...
Write-ups and reviews from TBD’s Community Network
• EveryFoodFits uncovers the myths behind gluten-free diets.
• Capital Cooking brings her appetite to Carmine’s.
• Looking for a weekday breakfast? Metrocurean’s got some answers.
• Mango & Tomato’s dinner at the BRG: The Burger Joint.
• Lunching in the DMV finds her way to Founding Farmers.
• DC-Wrapped Dates gives Commissary 2.5 hearts out of 5. Uh oh.
Plan Ahead - This week’s food and drink events
• August 30 - September 12 -- Jaleo’s Seventh Annual La Tomatina Festival
• Sept. 10 -- Harvest Party Bloomin’
• Sept. 10 -- Fashionistas and Foodies unite for Fashion’s Night Out
• Sept. 11 -- First Annual Beer and Bake Sale
• Sept. 11 -- DC Veg Fest
• Sept. 11 -- 2nd Annual Roast Fundraiser for SOME
• Sept. 11 - Great Grapes Reston
• Sept. 12 - Adams Morgan Day
• Sept. 12 -- Fall Fashionista’s Sunday Brunch
• September Cooking Classes (via FloridaGirlinDC)
• T.G.I. Fridays: Save $5 when you buy two entrees (through 9/15)
• Win 2 tickets to the Mid-Atlantic Red Fruit Festival
• Win free tickets to Vintage Crystal by becoming a fan of Capital Cooking on Facebook
• Win $50 at The Reserve
• Ted’s Montana Grill: Save $5 when you spend $15 (through 9/19)