Ardeo and Bardeo will soon become one. Ashok Bajaj is giving his Cleveland Park restaurant and next-door wine bar a $1 million dollar makeover, says Tom Seitsema. The restaurateur plans to take down the wall separating the two dining operations and turn the space into one entity called Ardeo + Bardeo. The renovations will include an 18-person community table, a stone oven, and an island bar that will sit in the space where the wall currently stands. Ardeo and Bardeo will close on Nov. 1; the new combo space should reopen on Nov. 22.
After much anticipation, Roberto Donna’s Galileo III is open. (Washington Post)
More thoughts on the Donna’s new restaurant... (EatMore DrinkMore)
The Limerick Pub is opening in Wheaton on Dec. 17. The traditional Irish pub will be located about a block away from the Wheaton metro station at 11301 Elkin St. Owners Neil Foley & Tom Stanton plan to serve authentic Irish dishes and will feature live Irish music. You can check out photos of the unfinished restaurant on their Facebook page here.
Wheaton isn’t the only city that’s getting an Irish pub. Construction for Samuel Beckett in Shirlington is well under way; the pub is expected to open by the end of November, reports ARLNow. The Irish gastropub will be located at 2800 South Randolph St. and will feature two levels, three bars, and enough dining space to seat 228 people. In August, ARLNow reported that Samuel Beckett owner Mark Kirwan was in search of Irish workers for his soon-to-open gastropub. Kirwan placed an ad on an Irish jobs website, and even offered to assist qualified candidates in obtaining a visa. In an e-mail to ARLNow, Kirwan wrote, “I am trying to re-create what a true pub is like in Ireland.”
Mick Dadlani, the owner of Fly Lounge in Dupont, plans to open a gastropub in the former Indebleu location at 707 G St. NW, reports GoG Blog. The 130-seat restaurant and sportspub, titled Redline, will feature “American food with a French flair.” The restaurant is expected to open in 3-4 weeks.
Paul Bakery, a France-based bakery chain, plans to open early next year at 801 Pennsylvania Ave. NW. reports WBJ’s Missy Frederick.
In other food news...
• Rustik Tavern is holding their grand opening this week on Oct. 14, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The opening is limited to the first 200 people.
• Judge to deliver verdict on Rogue States on Tuesday. (WCP)
• Grocery store in Brooklyn gets two Michelin stars. (NPR)
• Spaghetti Tacos. Could this be the newest food trend? (New York Times)
• The truth behind the top six food myths (Serious Eats)
• Review: Desperados Burger and Bar (Washington Post)
• Review: Griffith Market in Georgetown (Georgetown Patch)
Hungry? Find a food truck...
Write-ups and reviews from TBD’s Community Network
• Photo: Breakfast burrito from Spider Kelly’s (Clarendon Culture)
• Video: A walk through the D.C. Curbside Cook-off (Metrocurean)
• Photos: Curbside Cook-off (Clarendon Culture)
• Aren’t you gourd it’s autumn? (EveryFoodFits)
• i Flip For Food brunch at Ulah Bistro
• Metrocurean: Chef 5 Bites with Gregg Fortunato
• Tapas Tasting at Taberna del Alabardero (Mango & Tomatos)
• EatMore DrinkMore tackles Korean-Latin fusion at DaMoim
• Arugula Files’ new lunch place: Mixt Greens
• Lunching in the DMV goes to Nest Cafe
Plan Ahead - This week’s food and drink events
• Oct. 13 -- Bright Pink Cocktail Reception
• Oct. 14 -- Raise the Roof with Courtney’s House at Mie N Yu
• Oct. 14-21 -- Week of Bacon returns to Restaurant 3
• Oct 15 -- Organic wine tasting at Windows Cafe