Now open: Rustico in Ballston and Michel in Tyson’s Corner. Coming soon: More fro-yo, tacos, and food trucks rolling your way
Chef Michel Richard opened the doors to his new restaurant, Michel, last Friday. The new restaurant, located in the Ritz-Carlton in Tyson’s Corner, served hotel guests only over the weekend, but it's now officially open to the general public.
Michel is Richard’s third restaurant and will feature a bistro menu that pulls elements from the menus of his other two restaurants, Michel Richard Citronelle and Central Michel Richard. The new restaurant is open for breakfast daily, and for dinner Monday through Saturday.
• Related: A date for Michel: Oct. 26 (Going out Gurus)
Also opening today: Rustico’s Ballston location. The new restaurant, located at 4075 Wilson Blvd., offers a similar pizza and beer concept to the original location in Alexandria. The new 6,000-square-foot space includes 200 indoor seats, 100 outdoor seats, a separate bar area, and semi-private dining rooms. Beer enthusiasts will be excited to know that the new location features a larger selection of brews than its Alexandria sibling. While the original location offers 330 beers, the Ballston location boasts a menu containing 443 beers. Beer director Greg Engert developed a list containing 400 bottles, 40 drafts, and 3 cask ales. According to ARLnow, the casks will be installed next week. The restaurant will continue to add additional interior touches over the next couple of weeks. Buzz Bakery, Rustico’s next-door cafe and bakeshop, is several months away from opening, says ARLnow.
More on Rustico:
• Rustico in Ballston to open Oct. 26 (TBD)
• First Look: Rustico Ballston (We Love DC)
• Rustico Ballston Preview (EatMore DrinkMore)
• First Look: Rustico hours away from opening (ARLnow)
Coming soon: Sweetgreen, District Taco, and CapMac DC
It may be several months before Buzz Bakery’s opening, but that doesn’t mean Rustico will be without a neighbor. Arlington’s first Sweetgreen is planning to open right next door to the new pizza and beer eatery. Sweetgreen’s new location is expected to open for business the second week of November. The eco-friendly salad and frozen yogurt shop will be similar in decor to the other Sweetgreen stores. This will be the company’s seventh location in the Washington, D.C. region.
District Taco’s storefront location may be opening next week, reports ARLnow. Construction for owner Osiris Hoil’s restaurant at 5723 Lee Highway, in the former Vero Restaurant location, is underway. Hoil’s brick and mortar restuarant will serve some of the same items as his District Taco food truck, as well as a few additions.
More food trucks are on the way. In addition to DC Empanadas, who plans to roll out later this week, the District will also be getting a pasta truck. CapMac DC plans to serve the streets in early November, reports Metrocurean. Truck owner and chef Brian Arnoff, who recently worked at Bourbon Steak, plans to feature soups, salads, and pastas on his menu.
In other food and restaurant news...
• A rocky road for Gifford’s: Fascinating story on the messy history behind Gifford’s ice cream business (Washington Post)
• Capital Diner’s Halloween decorations stolen... again (Frozen Tropics)
• Starbucks expands to a mobile payment system (NRN)
• Michelin stars draw shots (WSJ)
From TBD’s Community Network
• Dining in DC: Recap: Pig Out at Black Market Bistro
• Fabulous Food Finds: Gluten-free Amalfi Coast Lemon Cake
• Capitol Bites: Element of surprise at Ted’s Bulletin
• ThriftyDCCook: Brunch at Liberty Tavern
• Mango & Tomato: What to do with pepper jelly
• Plight of the Pumpernickel: Shucking the first oyster
Plan Ahead - This week’s food and drink events
• Oct. 25 - Nov. 2 -- Day of the Dead at Oyamel
• Oct. 26 -- Star Chef’s 2010 Washington Rising Stars Gala
• Oct. 27 -- Pumpkin Carving Contest at Helix Lounge
• Oct. 28 -- Veuve Cliquot 26th Annual 'Yelloween' Party
• Oct. 28 -- The Scene Bisnow Halloween Party
• Oct. 28 -- Cartoons and Cocktails
• Oct. 29 -- Doggie Happy Hour Costume Competition
• Oct. 30 -- Halloween Party at Masa 14
• Oct. 30 -- Villains and Vixens Halloween Party at Buddha Bar
• $2 off any large Quiznos sub (through 10/26)
• Buy one smoothie, get one free at Denny’s (through 10/31)
• Buy one sub, get one free at Quiznos (through 11/1)
• $5 off at Boston Market (through 11/9)
Get your food truck fix...