David Guas’ Bayou Bakery is close to opening.
The New Orleans-themed cafe and restaurant, located in Arlington’s Courthouse neighborhood, was originally scheduled to open on Nov. 1, but delays in obtaining the proper permits pushed the launch date back a bit. Guas is expected to be ready for business by next Monday, or perhaps even later this week.
Capital City Diner employee recovering
A Capital City Diner employee is expected to recover after being shot and robbed last Saturday night. According to the diner’s Facbook page, Wade, one of the waiters, was shot after his shift about two blocks away from work. General manager Matt Ashburn says they captured video footage of the suspect, which has been turned into the police. The diner is located at 1050 Bladensburg Road NE.
On the way: a “global restaurant" next to Dirty Martini, another beer garden
A “global restaurant” is coming to 1225 Connecticut Ave. NW, reports PoP. It will be next to the former MCCXXIII nightclub space that’s slated to become Dirty Martini, a restaurant and bar concept from the same group behind Midtown Loft, Lotus Lounge, and Tattoo Bar. As WBJ reported back in July, Dirty Martini will be Michael Romano Group’s first operation to open seven days a week, serving dinner, lunch, and brunch.
Is the area big enough for two beer gardens? Looks like we’ll soon find out. According to PoP, Bavarian Beer Garden is opening at 720 L St. SE. The new operation will be a tavern and beer garden serving European and American dishes. The location is about a couple of miles south of Biergarten Haus, which is located at 1355 H St. NE. The former features German brews and traditional German dishes.
Local food bloggers unite for a good cause
Dining in DC’s Lisa Shapiro put together a team of food bloggers and friends to raise money for Food & Friends annual Slice of Life fundraiser, a pie sale that provides meals for those in need. Last year, Shapiro’s team of food bloggers raised over $1,300. The group is aiming to exceed that amount this year. If you’d like to buy a pie or two, see here.
In other food and restaurant news...
• Bad news: Black market and fraud to blame for our decreasing bluefin tuna population. (Y&H)
• How do local chefs use squash? (DCist)
• Shortages in bulk cocoa production may result in chocolate becoming the new caviar. (NPR)
• The dish on Obama meals in Mumbai (ObFo)
• Meatball soup for Obama in Indonesia (PRI’s The World)
• How right is the customer who blogs? (The Guardian)
From TBD’s Community Network
• Fabulous Food Finds: Challah and whole wheat bread stuffing
• Borderstan: Survey Says: What readers eat or don’t eat
• Capitol Bites: Whoops...may be part of the latest sweet trend
• Lunching in the DMV: Woodbury Kitchen in Baltimore
• DC-Wrapped Dates: The search for banh mi: G Street Food
• Borderstan: Profile: L’Enfant Cafe on 18th Street
Plan Ahead - This week’s food and drink events
• Nov. 10 -- Women in Wine Dinner and Complimentary Wine Tasting
• Nov. 10 -- Four Vines Wine Dinner at Blacks Bar and Kitchen
• Nov. 13 -- Luke’s Wings Homecoming Fundraiser at Bobby Van’s Grill
• Nov. 13-14 -- Metropolitan Cooking and Entertaining Show
• Free coffee on Fridays at Burger King (till end of November)
Find a food truck...