Recent openings: Lou’s City Bar, Black Squirrel’s basement bar
Lou’s City Bar held its grand opening in Columbia Heights yesterday. The new sports bar, located at 1400 Irving St. NW, features a 45-foot bar, a couple dozen flat-screen TV’s, and a heated outdoor patio, which is expected to open this weekend.
The American-focused menu includes Angus burgers, prime rib, and specialty sandwiches. Mimosa lovers take note: According to Eater DC, a complimentary glass of the OJ-champagne concoction comes with any brunch entree starting this weekend. Also this weekend: A St. Patrick’s Day party.
Black Squirrel opened the doors to its new basement bar earlier this week, showing off graffiti-covered walls, a 50-foot bar, and 32 beers on tap -- the third largest selection in the city -- reports the Washington Post. A menu filled with bar snacks and sandwiches is expected to roll out this weekend.
Opening Saturday: Hill Country DC, Rita’s Italian Ice
The New York-based Hill Country restaurant is opening its doors in D.C. Saturday evening. The eatery will feature Texas-style barbecue modeled after the legendary Texas barbecue joint, Kreuz Market, and its distinctive dry-rub style. The restaurant, located at 410 Seventh St. NW in Penn Quarter, will also feature live country and southern music.
Rita’s Italian Ice is coming out of hibernation and opening its doors this weekend for the warmer months. The Pennsylvania-based chain features a variety of frozen treats, including gelati, frozen custard, and Italian ice. Note: Rita’s will be giving away free Italian ice on March 20 to celebrate the start of spring.
In other food and restaurant news...
• Fast Gourmet, the popular sandwich shop located in the gas station at 1400 W St. NW, is expanding, says PoP. One of the owners says the plan to open a couple more locations in Dupont and Georgetown.
• Matchbox’s move to the suburbs, and what they had to do differently. (The Feast)
• Hot dogs, chili and fries... all on a food truck is in Silver Spring. (Thayer Avenue)
• Sticky Fingers’ Doran Peterson gets a cookbook. (Eater DC)
• Charlie Sheen’s hands are winning. (Zagat)
From TBD’s Community Network
• Two DC: Review: Mussel Bar
• DC-Wrapped Dates: Review: Mussel Bar
• Bitches Who Brunch: Review: La Boum Brunch at L’Enfant Cafe
• We Love DC: Drinks special: Irish Whiskey
• We Love DC: Carnival at Cafe Atlantico
Plan Ahead -- Upcoming food and drink events
• March 7-13 -- Frederick Restaurant Week
• March 8-12 -- Sprinklesmobile giving away free cupcakes
• March 10-12 -- Free Starbucks Petites from 2 to 5 p.m.
• March 20 -- Free Italian Ice at Rita’s
• March 21 -- Free Nutella latte at Pound on the Hill